- Understanding how their behaviors affect others around them?
- Recognizing other people’s verbal and non-verbal cues, and understanding how to appropriately respond to them?
- Being able to recognize their own emotions, and knowing how to react to problems and challenges?
Then you know a child who would benefit from the Social Discovery Squad: A Social Behavior Therapy Program for Kids
Partners In Excellence in La Crosse is excited about our expanded social thinking program for children with social communication difficulties. We now have two programs- for elementary school and for middle school ages.
Specific curricula and activities will be implemented in a behavioral therapy model to help the children develop further awareness of their own thinking and social behaviors, and to learn strategies to develop self-regulation across a range of behaviors including:
- Understanding their emotions and being proactive when they feel themselves become frustrated or embarrassed.
- Social norms when it comes to making friends, approaching peers and adults, joining/maintaining a conversation, and how to react when others are unkind.
- How to gauge how others are acting around us and knowing which behaviors are appropriate and which ones are not.
- Creating and maintaining self-confidence so that we can ask for help when needed and feel comfortable bringing our ideas to the group.
- Having a greater understanding of the world around us: which unexpected behaviors to look out for both with others and with ourselves; based on where we are and what we are doing.
Who should be in the groups?
These groups are open to any child with social communication difficulties and are especially beneficial for children who have been diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome, High functioning Autism, PDD-NOS, ADHD or Nonverbal Learning Disorders.
- Elementary Group: Ages 7-11
- NEW THIS FALL: Middle School Group: Ages 12-14
Fall Term will run for 10 weeks- September 16, 2013 – November 22, 2013
The schedule is flexible in that your child may attend all five days of the week or fewer days depending on his/her schedule and other activities.
Insurance funding, waiver funding, reasonable private pay rates are also available.
Location: Partners In Excellence, 901 Caledonia Street, La Crosse WI 54603
To Register: Contact Lynn by phone (608-785-4100 ext.4) or by email firstname.lastname@example.org